The Town of Harrisburg Fire Department currently employs 46 full-time positions. Four of the positions are in administration and the others are in the operations division. Our hiring needs are different from year to year, but we are always looking for men and women who are going to provide the best care to our community in fire and emergency services.
Our recruitment and job application process remains open year-round. Applications received by December 31 of any year are considered for the following year.
The Harrisburg Fire Department, Albemarle Fire Department, Concord Fire Department and Salisbury Fire Department developed a joint firefighter recruitment process. This process saves these agencies the cost of doing independent recruitment efforts and is more efficient for candidates because they can apply with more than one agency using the same testing process.
Not all departments are actively recruiting, but this testing will be used to establish an eligibility list which will be used to fill future vacancies as they occur for one year. When the testing process is complete, the eligibility list will be made available to the listed departments. Watch our orientation video.
Harrisburg Fire Department Eligibility Requirements
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have a valid driver's license and a good driving record
- Have no felony convictions or misdemeanors involving moral turpitude
- Have no illegal drug use within the last 12 months
- Meet the medical requirements set forth in NFPA1582
The Application & Selection Process
The application process to become a firefighter candidate includes the following steps:
- CPAT (Orientation, Practice, and Final Test)
- Written Examination
- Panel Interview
- Background Check and Screening
- Formal Interview
- Conditional Job Offer
- Drug Testing
- Employment Suitability Evaluation and Physical
For more information about applying for the Harrisburg Fire Department or any of the other agencies, click on the following links:
- Town of Harrisburg Fire Department
- City of Albemarle Fire Department
- City of Concord Fire Department
- City of Salisbury Fire Department
Please remember you will only be considered for employment with the departments you submit an application.